Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Aug 11, 2002, 4:48 AM   #1
Default need advice and comment

i plan to buy a DC that can have lots of manual operations. recently i read some reviews and made a list:

Nikon coolpix 4500
Canon powershot S30/40
Minolta dimage F100

originally i prefer 4500, but after i viewed lots of sample galleries for these DCs, i found that the image quality (especially Landscape/Scenery shots) are not that good. is it true that the Nikon lens does produce a bit soft images? on the other hand, F100 does produce sharp and colorful images. and i wonder which one would produces higher quality images? how about canon one? i prefer to have sharper images as i prefer to have wide scenery shots (Landscape).

many thanks for all of your advice.

arno poon

[Edited on 8-11-2002 by arnopoon]

[Edited on 8-11-2002 by arnopoon]
arnopoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 11, 2002, 11:00 AM   #2

I am not a professional and I don't have a ton of cameras to compare, but I did buy the CP4500 after over two years of waiting and comparing and I have been very pleased with my results.

The CP4500 offers you many modes of operation from point and shoot to set modes for certain situations and a nice manual mode operation and each one offers advantages in different situations.

There are so many factors to getting nice, sharp results and I am convinced a large part this is just the skill and knowledge level of the shooter.

If you are a good photographer in film you will probably know about lighting conditions, framing, exposure compensation, white balance, shutter speed, film speed, aperature, etc., and you will also learn the camera functions and how to get the best results out of whatever you are using.

Other novice users may snap pictures using full auto, which may not present the best looking results in many conditions.

I also believe the Nikon optics in consumer level products are superior and the CP4500 takes the best of all the prior CP twist cameras, addes some great features, fixes some ergonomic concerns, and is an excellent camera.

Now I sound like a Nikon salesperson.

Best of luck in your camera search and whatever you end up getting I hope you have fun with it and snap a few very nice pictures.
Jaseball is offline   Reply With Quote