Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Dec 28, 2003, 6:54 AM   #1
Default Resolution

Got a fabulous new S400 for Xmas and have a million questions. but just one for now.

I understand that if I shoot at one resolution, say 1600 x 1200, the resulting prints will be about 6 x 4 and cannot be enlarged without degradation. But, if I shoot at 2272 x1704, can the prints be reduced with no loss of picture quality?

Thanks for helping.

TJ May is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 28, 2003, 11:31 AM   #2

Always shoot at the highest available resolution. You can always reduce the size of any picture (a good idea when sending by e-mail or using on a Web page). Smaller file sizes don't print as well as large ones. You might shoot a great picture and want to make a large print from it. If you shot it at lower resolution, you might be out of luck.

Memory cards are pretty cheap now. Get a spare as well as an extra battery. The cards provided with most cameras are too small to be of much use.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2003, 1:07 PM   #3

Yes, take images at as high of quality as possible. Get a large memory card so you won't have to worry about it. But don't underestimate the quality of certain sizes - I have the S200, and at 1600x1200, I can make relatively good 7.5"x10"s, an 8.5"x11" with a *nice* border, typically still sharp looking. I don't have the best camera or photo printer, but I'm not a photo studio or anything, so I'm happy with what I'm able to do.
maki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2003, 8:45 PM   #4

To TJ. Wildman and Maki have given you the best answer there is to your question.Tealblue
tealblue is offline   Reply With Quote