Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Dec 28, 2003, 8:04 PM   #1
Default shutter speed question

what is the fastest shutter speed for a 3-4 megapixel
I looked at my camera and it is 1/750. Now I see them at 15 sec and 30 sec. Which is better? Does it even matter between the two?
ricolola is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 28, 2003, 9:41 PM   #2

Most point and shoot cameras will deside on what shutter your camera will use. You will not have any control over it. When you get into the "advanced point and shoot" they will probably give you menu options to set your shutter speeds. Normally, you probably will not want to play with them.

The way I look at it. Is 1/750 of a second is kind of crazy for a point and shoot (IMO) and the 20-30 is how long the shutter can be kept open. Point and shoots I would have to say probably adjust itself to anywheres between 1/60ith inside to up to 1/350th outside? Im not totally positive. But if you dont plan to take any SUPA high speed sports shots (Nascar, Indy, etc) or dont wanna do long exposures say for odd effects. Then I wouldnt even worry about it.
UniSonBBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2003, 10:32 PM   #3

Fuji used to have the record, at 1/10,000 of a second for it's Fuji s602 3MP camera. I am not sure if any other manufacturers are matching or exceeding this today. Of course, then their is the question of what you would use it for? Freeze frame of the shaft on a motor?

WmAx is offline   Reply With Quote