Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Dec 28, 2003, 8:06 PM   #1
Default shutter speed question

what is the fastest shutter speed for a 3-4 megapixel
I looked at my camera and it is 1/750. Now I see them at 15 sec and 30 sec. Which is better? Does it even matter between the two?
ricolola is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 29, 2003, 8:40 AM   #2

I'm getting a bit confused about your post. You ask what shutterspeed is best.... What do you actually mean ?

The faster it is, the better. If you can get a lot of slow shutterspeed options this is good too. But you have to have both.
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2003, 8:46 AM   #3

Shutter speed is one way to control the amount of light that reaches your film/sensor. Another way is aperature setting and another is ISO. All three determine proper exposure. There is no right or wrong --- it is entirely up to the type of picture you are trying to create. Fast moving objects that you want to freeze in action require fast shutter speeds. Using a slower shutter speed on running water gives an image of fluidity whereas freezing the motion changes the image entirely. I would suggest that you read up on exposure so that you understand the relationship between shutter speed, aperature, and ISO. It will make you a better photographer by understanding this concept fully.

ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote