Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jan 24, 2011, 12:51 PM   #1
Default Fz40 question

guys sorry for asking a lot of question I'm a noob in camers

I was confuse of buying a 58mm adapter or buy a 52mm close up lens

when I was messing around when my fz40 I saw my lens cover has a label on it which is 52mm...so the question is the 52mm Close up lens will fit to my lens camera without using any lens adapter?
raprap is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 24, 2011, 2:49 PM   #2

G'day raprap

One of the issues with some of the recent Lumix cameras is "what happens to the filter when you power OFF the camera, and the lens returns inside the camera body". The FZ28 [for example] takes a 46mm filter, but when powered OFF and the lens closes in, it jams in the camera body

The new Lumix cameras [FZ40, FZ45] have widened the body opening so that when a 52mm filter is attached, the lens can return into the body without jamming.
Panasonic also offer you the adapter tube for extender lenses [teleconverter or wide-angle] and this screws into the camera body -not the moveable lens as it's too heavy- and this uses a 58mm thread.

My thoughts would be-
1- if you are NOT planning to buy the teleconverter lenses & tube, just buy the 52mm filters and [maybe] a +2 or +3 close up lens for macro work;
2- if you are planning to buy a teleconverter lens, you will need the adapter tube, so you will need the 58mm filters or close up lenses

ps: I have an FZ35 and I also have the adapter tube. The tube remains on the camera permanently as it becomes a nice lens-hood for general day-to-day images

Regards, Phil
Has Fuji & Lumix superzoom cameras and loves their amazing capabilities
Google me at Travelling School of Photography Australia
Recent images at http://www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote