Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jan 3, 2004, 6:33 AM   #1
Default First "serious" purchase

My wife bought me a Minolta Dimage Z1 for Christmas (Bless her!) and on first impressions Im really impressed.

Ive read many reviews, some good, some bad and decided that I would take the plunge.

Im fairly new to digicams, having dabbled in the past with a borrowed camera, and playing around with those cheap chearful mini cameras from novelty sites. Now I have acquired a "real" camera Im in a new world. Picture Quality of this camera is way above what I expected, even in economy mode, and the zoom on this camera is fantastic. Having played for hours out of the bedroom window (Strictly clean shots only....honest), I am totally addicted to taking shots of anything and everything.

My only 2 issues with this camera, if I may being this new and all, is the size of the memory card recieved with the camera(16 MB) and the fact that when you are seriously zoomed in on something, the slightest hand movement ruins the shot. I dont see anything in the manuals to say the camera has an anti-shake system, so I presume this is it.

In all, I would say this is my first step into the world of real digital photography, and am already sizing up my next purchase.

Keep the reviews coming Steve, GREAT SITE!!!
spikez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 3, 2004, 10:55 AM   #2

The first "issue" is easy to solve, buy a larger card
in the highest resolution your cam makes about 100 pictures on a 128 mb card, so a 512 mb card would be enough. Remember, a digital photo costs nothing until you print it, so youre going to make more photos than you would expect.

The second issue i suggest: get a tripod.
if you stil want to handhold the camera, first you need to know howto hold the camera steady, and second, enough light to get a shutter of about 1/500 of a second completely zoomed in.
Marc H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2004, 11:46 AM   #3

OK, Thanks for the reply. Went out and bought a tripod and am noticing the difference. New memory card is my next purchase.

Just searching forums now to get my head round shutter speeds and exposure etc.

no doubt will be posting again soon
spikez1 is offline   Reply With Quote