Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jan 3, 2004, 5:23 PM   #1
Default Help gratefully sought

Hi All,

Was looking for some advice.

I do not have much interest in "professional" photography, but now I'm looking to buy myself a digicam that will last a good 3 or 4 years.

It must be a ultra compact style camera that will fit in a front pocket on my jeans.

Now, originally the CASIO QX R40 looked to be just the one, especially as it is on promotion here in the UK for a very good price.

4 megapixel, some good reviews also.

I was about to buy it but there is no audio on the video facility which is a bit annoying. Not that I will use the video much, but a few clips taken on holiday, even for a few seconds, would be great.

So now I'm looking to revert to a lower resolution of 3 or 3.2 MP. Notably looking at the Canon A70 and Sony P72, although not sure if these would fit into a front pocket.

The other 4 megapixel options with audio are just too expensive. Basically I would be forking out another equivalent USD 150 just for audio!

What do you guys think of the Sony and the Canon? Are they good cameras despite the reduced resolution? I would be looking to make 6 x 4 prints and publish on the web. I have no interest in blowing up pictures any larger. Would you know what the required resolution I need is?

So what do you think? Should I go for the Canon or Sony? Or perhaps you recommend an alternative?

Thanks for listening and I'd be extremely grateful for any advice.
rolliw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 5, 2004, 7:35 AM   #2
Default Mmmmmm..............

Doesn't matter Canon and Sony models you describe they are good.
But you have to know that all of them whatever brand you buy they are not capable to take excellent shots everytime. :shock:
Most or some of your pictures must be adjusted with the softwares given with the camera. This is good because you can manipulate your pictures as you want. :lol:
If you ask me I prefer Canon instead of Sony. But both they are very good. :twisted:
Read Steves' reviews about Canon A70 and Sony P72. :idea:
It's your money, you have to decide yourself what brand to buy.

Good luck and be happy.................
The Conqueror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2004, 7:38 PM   #3

I have been reviewing several Canon models the past several weeks. The A80, G3 and the G5. I think I will be going with the G5 after reading the reviews. This will be my first digital camera so i will probably be posting alot of questions after i get it.
Aviator 327 is offline   Reply With Quote