Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jan 4, 2004, 6:52 AM   #1
Default SONY DSC F828 noise

I need some clarification if you can. I am looking to purchase the Sony dsc f828, but I am hearing such mixed reviews about noise. One website says the noise the experts are complaining about is at 100% and hardly visible at normal print size. My question is this. If I print photo's of say 11 x 17 or less, will I see noise at ISO 800? I just want to know how the camera performs for people who take normal sized photos, not a 3' x 4' that most people will never print. Thanks for the help. :? :?
hangloose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 4, 2004, 11:50 AM   #2

I would not even try to use the Sony at ISO 800. The noise would be too high even for a 8"x10" print. Now, be realistic and work in the camera's lower ISO 64 and ISO 100 settings, and you can nice, realtvely low grain prints at the size you specified. Use Neat Image and get perfectly clean images at that size. But at higher ISO settings(>100) the Sony's noise raises rapidly. By ISO 400, it's very serious. If you need higher ISO performance, their may be better choices then the Sony F828, such as the Fuji S7000, which has much clenaer higher ISO. If you need high ISO such as 800 that is usable, I recommend you froget about small sensor cameras and get something such as the Canon 300D, wich has an APS sized sesor(low thermal noise).

WmAx is offline   Reply With Quote