Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Apr 11, 2011, 6:51 AM   #11

1. Photoimpact, hmm sounds good, the question is will it be around x years from now, updated? I admit to know nothing and first time I hear that name, which may mean nothing.

2. photo work I will do mainly on my Mac but for convenience I have small Acer Windos 7, could I, e.g. export library Model Julianna from Mac to PC?
No editing work !
THAIPHUKET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2011, 1:14 AM   #12

I use picnik online. I have Photoshop Elements 8, but I just dont know how to use it.
Canon 60D ¦ EF 50 II ¦ EF-S 18-135 ¦ Canon 100-400 L
Vivitar 28/2.5 ¦ Helios 44-2 ¦Meyer Optik Gorlitz Trioplan 100/2.8 ¦ Tele Lentar 135/2.8 ¦ Soligor 180/3.5
Panasonic FZ38 / Olympus TCON 17
My Flickr
dropmyload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2011, 2:14 AM   #13
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by metropetro View Post
Photoshop is the best all around option. Lightroom and Aperture permit for some photo management but are't all inclusive tools such as Photoshop. It is a deep program so do not expect to learn it in a weekend, or a year.
Is there anything in particular that you think LR or Aperture are missing?

From the tone of your statement I would think you actually have no idea what they can do as photo editors.
My gallery
My X100 blog
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2011, 10:01 AM   #14

I hope I don't get put down for this because I may be wrong, but I think you need two applications. My, admittedly small, experience is that i can do most pp in Lightroom but once in a while, I'll want to edit a picture. For that I have Corel PSPX3. i would rather have Photoshop but it's expensive and my laptop came with PSPX3.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2011, 12:39 PM   #15

Originally Posted by acscoggins View Post
What are the best options for photo editing? The one I'm most familiar with is photoshop. I have currently signed up for their free online account. For another $80 or so, I can buy photoshop elements (?) I think it's called. Is it worth spending the $80? Are there better options out there? In general, I don't want to spend a ton of time (or money) on editing my photos. I'm looking for something that's simple to use and not too expensive. Really, I don't want to spend more than $100.
The most widely-used photo editing software will be Photoshop or its little brother Photoshop Elements. The good things about going with the most-widely-used software are 1) there's lots of help available, both from books and on-line; and 2) third-party add-on software (called "plugins" in Photoshop parlaince) are most widely available for the market leader. If you just want to do something simple to the entire image (adjust the contrast and brightness, resize the image, etc.) Photoshop is easy to use -- but so is everything else.

Photoshop gets hard when you want to do sophisticated things. In particular, there is a substantial learning curve associated with mastering "layers." Layers are used when you want to modify just a part of an image, or modify different parts of an image differently, or composite two different images together (put one person's head on another person's body, etc.) Layers take a lot to learn and are easy to forget if you don't use them a lot. But they are very powerful.

I use Capture NX2 (Nikon's image processing software) and PaintShop Pro, which is a knock-off of Photoshop and also uses layers and supports many of the Photoshop plugins. Capture NX2 uses a different model for working with portions of an image -- "control points." It is really easy to use, but not as powerful as layers. Any time I can get away with using control points, I do that. It typically takes me about two minutes to apply specific operations to specific regions using control points, and there's virtually no learning curve with them. I always have to spend all day when working with layers because I don't do it very often and so I have to review how to work with them every time.

However, as I mentioned, control points are not as powerful as layers. I can't composite different images together using control points. I can't use a third-party noise reduction or sharpening plugin and apply the noise reduction or sharpening of that third-party product only to the region selected by the control points, etc.

So, if I were going to be stuck with just one set of tools, I'd probably opt for one of the photo editors that supports layers and plugins. All such programs are more powerful than you are likely to need and more complicated than you would wish, but that is the lesser evil than getting halfway through working with your photo and realizing that your tool just won't do what you need done. FWIW

Last edited by tclune; May 9, 2011 at 1:22 PM.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2011, 4:00 PM   #16

I just use Light Room 3. I tried paintshop pro X3 and DPP (Canon software) but in the end the work flow of LR3 works best for me.
waoldrifleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2011, 1:21 PM   #17

I use Lightroom and GIMP! Nothing can beat GIMP for what it costs!
miami photographer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2011, 5:23 AM   #18

I've used Paintshop for decades ever since it was a "must have" shareware program and upgraded periodically as it went commercial with Jasc and Corel. Created a couple years after Photoshop and doing 95% of what photoshop will do, with the huge price spread, Adobe was forced to create Elements - and make it as powerful as it is - just to compete. Both are excellent choices and will meet the needs of most people. Gimp, as freewhere, is equally viable.

In the last year I have migrated to Photoshop/Lightroom combo as my needs became more commercial paired with InDesign and Illustrator. Ironically, I also have a copy of Gimp as Photoshop doesn't have a "viable" 64 bit plugin for my scanner and Adobe blames Epson. Works fine with Gimp and v10 (quit upgrading) of Paintshop Pro.

If I had to start over today, would probably choose Photoshop Elements to learn Adobe's basic menu structure if eventually plan to upgrade to Photoshop. Also, Adobe has an Elements to Photoshop upgrade path that effectively reimburses you the MSRP cost of Elements if within the last 2 or 3 generation of Elements. Lightroom is quite different with a different command structure. It does have some very powerful editing tools but a different command structure and "look-n-feel". It excells in mass photo management, so if you are shooting 500 shots in a wedding, you can go through them very quick where Phtoshop/Elements/PaintShop/Gimp as all one at a time. Also noted significant price reduction on Lightroom recently down to the $150 range for new users which makes it interesting.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2011, 9:00 AM   #19

It all depends on what your needs are. As I mentioned, I chose Photoimpact, as it is an all-in-one package that lets me do anything from basic color/exposure adjustments, to advanced graphics design, and has features, such as web publishing, that I have not even tried to use. The built-in HDR capability was available a year or more before PS, and has a really good interface with full control of the final version. The built-in filters and plug-ins are pretty comprehensive, and if you buy the disc version, there are hundreds of sample images, buttons, and graphics included. I looked at what it would take to build Photoshop up to have everything PI does, and would have had to purchase a number of add-ons, as well as spending much time hunting down and d/l graphics and plug-ins. One really great feature for getting started, is the ability to choose the basic user interface, which gives you just the basic tools for manipulating photos, similar to what is available in PS Elements, which you can change over as necessary for the more advanced features.
Pardon the long-windedness, but I am convinced that this it the best editor, and hate to see it ignored.
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2011, 7:16 AM   #20

Thanks for the heads up on Photoimpact. Looks good.

Olympus E420, 17.5-45mm, 14-42mm, 40-150mm, 70-300mm and 25mm lens

Kodak Z950
Thunderchild is offline   Reply With Quote