Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Apr 17, 2011, 9:48 PM   #1
Default Newbie Help - Lumix ZS7

I am looking for help with my new ZS7 . Since I am new to this camera (but not to point and shoots) I have been alternating between the Auto and P mode in an attempt to get an inside photo that is not blurry. Any action by the subject causes a blur in the picture (not the entire picture just the subject). I have not been using the flash as it seems to blow out the picture and there is enough light to take a photo without flash , but not without blurring. I also use the camera to take inside photos in concert/auditorium settings. After reading the many posts I took a suggestion to use 400 as the max ISO setting. I tried to upload a sample picture but was unsuccessful. What am I doing wrong? I am looking for any helpful suggestions to keep me from sending the camera back. Thanks.
koimom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 26, 2011, 2:07 PM   #2

along with ISO, shutter speed,Stabillization also do matter so what's up with those-I am a newby too ,learning the ropes
wanaclick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2011, 5:56 PM   #3

If the subject is blurred but not the rest of the picture then your shutter speed is not fast enough to stop the subject motion. Unless you can increase the amount of light the only way to use a faster shutter speed is to increase the ISO. You therefore have a trade-off between noise and motion blur. Stabilization does nothing to help subject motion, only camera shake which affects the sharpness of stationary object.

The advice to "never go over 400" is probably given by someone who never shoots moving subjects except in bright daylight. If you're going to push the envelope then you'll have to find the acceptable trade-offs for the photos you want.

A. C.

Last edited by ac.smith; Apr 28, 2011 at 10:04 PM.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote