Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old May 25, 2011, 4:03 PM   #1
Default Action photos with SX30 IS

Ok, yes, I am the new guy. Hi! I have a question. I am in no way a pro at photography, but tired of crappy pictures, so we bought the Canon SX30 IS. But I can't for the life of me get non blurry action photos. Half the things I take pictures of our action shots. We attend a lot of monster truck shows, NASCAR races, etc, and just can't get any photos that aren't blurry. I've messed with all the sports modes and such on the dial. But no luck. Is there any settings are something I can do to get clear photos? Any help would be appreciated!
breatheoflife is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 25, 2011, 6:02 PM   #2

For action shots, you need plenty of light and a fast shutter speed (1/500 or faster)
Use Tv mode and increase the ISO until you get the desired shutter speed.
jellyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2011, 1:36 PM   #3

Thank you. And what if it's night time? Pretty much S.O.L.?
breatheoflife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2011, 4:21 PM   #4

Flash, but if you are far away, then you should get a tripod.

Really the 1/500 speed is a bit fast for Monster Trucks. It might be ok for Nascar, not sure.

After testing my shutter speed, I found that even fast moving objects can get captured without any distortion at around 1/250. Still, you would need a high ISO and some editing software to raise the exposure and remove the noise.
My Gallery
Gear: Fujifilm HS10, lens cleaner, Canon 56" Tripod, Canon 63'' Monopod, UV filter, lens hood, Truckloads of AA batteries
Photo Editor: iPhoto '11, Adobe Lightroom 3 for Mac.
Main area of "expertise": Landscape (beaches), Macro, Foliage, B&W
Saltine713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2011, 9:33 PM   #5

Remember, the more you zoom in, the faster your shutter speed has to be to avoid blur from camera shake, as well as subject movement. If you are consistently getting blurry pictures, try a wider angle. More light allows faster shutter speeds, but for the types of places you are talking about, night action shots are not likely. Outside, in daylight, you shouldn't have too much trouble.

VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2011, 2:57 AM   #6

i have had different experiences than Saltine713. for fast action, i often have to go above 500 to get clean, clear pics and fully stop the action. i suggest you experiment with various shutter speeds and check the results.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2011, 10:23 AM   #7
Super Moderator

It would be helpful if you can post a couple of samples so we can see the sort of light you have etc.

Usually for motorsport I'm at 1/200-1/500s as actually you don't want to fully freeze the action, what you really want is some motion blur in the wheels and background. The key element though is your technique rather than settings. You have to learn to pan with the subject, I would get away from using the screen and go for the viewfinder, it is generally a little easier that way.
Any problems with a post or thread please use the report button at the bottom left of the post and the team will help sort it out.

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote