Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Aug 3, 2011, 10:48 PM   #11

On-camera flash will give you worse results - the flash travels such a short distance, the camera exposes for just that area and all beyond the flash will be underexposed/dark. While a powerful shoe mounted flash might help, I'm thinking that most won't give you enough help if you are sitting in the stands, unless you are in the splash zone. Bob's advice is very good, don't limit yourself to ISO400 - the Kx is capable of very good shots at higher ISOs than that. Since I think f5.6 is as wide open at 300mm for that lens, and the lens is somewhat soft until stopped down to about f8, you'll definitely need more than ISO 400 for the night show. The second one is nice timing, a good shot.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2011, 11:34 PM   #12

I'd set the focus to manual and for the expected distance, set the highest ISO the camera can handle, make sure the f# used will give you adequate DoF, and then don't pan but simply use the camera static. A creature jumping out of the water will be stationary when it's at its maximum height, so that's when you want to take the picture.
Canon 5D & 7D (both gripped), 24-105L, 100-400L, EF-S 15-85, 50 f1.8, Tamron 28-75, Sigma 12-24, G10, A1+10 FD lenses, tripods, lights etc
peterbj7 is offline   Reply With Quote