Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jan 17, 2004, 7:58 AM   #1
Default XD Card and transfer rate

I just bought a FujiS3000. It is still in the box. I also bought a 256K XD card with it. When I got home with the camera I realized that the XD card does not fit in the slots of my HP PSC 2175 (all in one) printer or my computer media slots. I was assured that this would not be a problem at the store. Yeah right! Both computer and printer are less than 6 months old. I do not want to return the camera, as I do like Fuji products and as a Newbie digital camera user, this seems like a good fit for me.

My question is - is the Data transfer rate faster from a card reader than by using the USB cable from the camera? My husband tends to think that I should return the camera just becoase of the card format. I do not think that this is a valid reason to return an item and I do not have a problem getting a card reader. But do I need to do this NOW!

Thank you for helping this newbie out. I appreciate all the help.
lel02762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 17, 2004, 9:01 AM   #2

I have never hooked up my Nikons directly to my deskktop computer (lap top yes, in the field) I have always used a Lexar CF card reader and have had excellant results and They are cheap $20. I am still USB 1.0 and as far as speed is concerned It is very fast from card reader to computer. I can down load oh maybe 250 photos in less than a minute. What I do is Dowload the pics using Nikon view then transfer them to there own file. Then delete the images on the card. Now I can process them, You CAN do some processing right on the card but depending on how much you do.the card may not be able to hold more information giving you an error message. So I would say go with the card reader. Good Luck.
cowboy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2004, 8:06 PM   #3

Both the Lexar and SanDisk multi-card readers are available for under $40 and read all the popular formats directly including the xD-Picture card. These readers are USB 2.0 and if your computer supports USB 2.0, the transfer speeds are much faster than using the camera's USB 1.1 port. It also saves your batteries for taking pictures.

steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2004, 8:40 AM   #4

Thanke sofr your help, Steve. I will search for one today. Exactly what I was looking for.
lel02762 is offline   Reply With Quote