Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Sep 11, 2011, 3:18 PM   #1
Default Nikon Coolpix P80 Aperture Issue

Hi! I've been searching online for an answer to my issue. I'm trying to take a photo of a subject and blur the background, so I've used the A mode to adjust the aperture and have tried both the 2.8 and the 8.0 mode. The only thing that changes, is the brightness of the photo; nothing is ever blurred.

I'm completely perplexed! I'm following the instructions in the manual and those that I find online and still, nothing. I also tried M (manual) mode, but still have only been able to alter the amount of light in my photos.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!
redlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 11, 2011, 6:08 PM   #2

How much background blur you get depends on lens focal length as well as aperture. If you are using the widest angle, you will not see much in the way of blur. If you zoom in more on your subject you should be able to see more effect. Having the subject closer to you, and farther from the background also helps.
The reason for all this is that the depth of field is dependent on focal length, aperture, and subject distance. With smaller sensor cameras, the lens focal lengths tend to be rather short, providing a very large depth of field, so the best results are obtained by zooming in, to the longest possible focal length, which on your camera is around 84mm. Unfortunately, your smallest aperture at this FL is 4.5, so the DOF will not be small.
The effect you are trying to achieve is much easier to produce with larger sensor cameras, such as DSLRs.

VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2011, 4:49 AM   #3

You could try and fake it in post processing by adding some blur to your background
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote