Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jan 20, 2004, 4:39 PM   #1
Default Canon A80 or Nikon cp 4300 ?

Hi i'm new on digital photography and have never had a camera before. I want to take outdoor photos and do some macro work. I'm planning to buy Canon Powershot A80 or Nikon Coolpix 4300 but can't decide which one to buy.
Nikon does awesome macro work but i read some reviews that it has some problems about battery life,flash and dead pixels.
I saw the sample images of both and think that Nikon has better image quality and colours than Canon. Am i right?

Which camera should i buy ? And tell me if you have another suggestions.
sinnerestella is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 20, 2004, 5:12 PM   #2

I use the 5700 and it uses the same battery as the 4300, EN_EL1. I can shoot about 200 shots on a singel battery. The 5700 uses an EVF view finder and should consume more power than the 4300. I bought batteries off Ebay and they work as well as the Nikon battery that came with the camera. Here is the link:

Nikon is famous for it's macro ability.

I would not worry about reports of dead pixels. Forum links for most brands have people talking about dead pixels.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2004, 5:24 PM   #3

Sony is the largest manufacturer of the CCD sensors used in Consumer Digital Cameras.

Both the Nikon Coolpix 4300 and the Canon Powershot A80 use the Sony 4 Megapixel 1/1.8" CCD.

Unfortunately, sometimes you do get one with stuck/dead pixels, but I'd expect the failure rate to be the same between models using the same sensor.

I'd compare the features between the models, and read the reviews. The Canon does have more in the way of user control (aperture priority, shutter priority, etc.). However, you may not want or need these features, and the Nikon has some scene modes to accomplish some of the same things you could do setting the camera manually.

The Canon does offer a twist out LCD Display, and a focus assist lamp. However, the Nikon has some unique features like Best Shot Selector.

There are pros and cons to both choices.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote