Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jan 6, 2012, 10:58 AM   #11

Hi are you using canons DPP software
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2012, 11:28 AM   #12

Hi, Thanks for trying to help me. I will have to look that up Canon DPP software.
I have to go out this afternoon so I likely wont have time until tonight.
Let me read and watch the video and then I will know what you are talking about.
Sorry for not having done that.
flaggirl1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2012, 3:05 PM   #13

You can download updates to DPP from their websitte, but they won't install unless you've aklready installed the version from the CD that came with your camera.

I agree with wave01. The two outdoor scenes have too much contrast. You need to remember that the camera is trying to expose everything in its metering area. You have some really bright areas and some really dark areas. The camera will pick an intermediate exposure level that works equally poorly for both. My guess is that you were using Evaluative metering, which tries to expose the entire frame properly. (See page 102 of the Canon T3i Instruction Manual.) If you'd have used any of the other Metering Modes, you'd have probably gotten better results.
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2012, 7:09 PM   #14
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by wave01 View Post
hi you are looking two different types of picture 1 and 2 are taken outside with a lot of snow you will need too add a bit compensation to compensate for the snow. the p&s shot has no snow and is a more even balance.
what were the settings of the t3i
The exif is in the photos, if you don't have it then grab something oPanda iExif. I'm just off to bed otherwise would have copied and pasted all the settings but feeling too lazy lol
Any problems with a post or thread please use the report button at the bottom left of the post and the team will help sort it out.

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote