Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jan 23, 2004, 9:19 PM   #1
Default New To The Digital Camera World, Please Help ?

Hi everyone,
I have owned a few 35mm camera's and a couple of SLR's, so I am an old hand to photography but a newbie to the world of Digital Cameras.
I am looking to buy a Digital Camera that takes the best pictures for the least amount of money.
My maximum budget is £150 but if possible I would like to spend the least amount of money possible closer to the £100 mark leaving me a bit of change to buy spare memory.
I take a lot of photos both indoors and outdoors so it must be a camera that can handle both jobs easily.
I don't mind what type of memory or batteries the camera uses.
Is it better to have a combined optical and digital zoom or is there a camera out there at the low end of the price range that would be sufficient with just a digital zoom?
I know there are lots of manufacturers out there now, but what I am looking for is the best camera package( with the most amount of Megapixels, and the biggest optical zoom if needed.)
Thanks very much.
Alexandra. :P
NightWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 24, 2004, 12:19 AM   #2

I would stick with your film cameras with that budget. By the time you buy a decent memory card and a charger and batteries you donít have enough to spend on the camera. If you try to go with the included memory you will have to shoot at so low a resolution that you will make a poor camera even poorer. And few in that price range have a charger with NiMH batteries. Alkalines donít last long enough and one-use lithiums are pricey.

Digital zoom just crops the image. A 4Mp camera shot at 2X digital zoom gives a 1Mp image. You really need optical zoom to have any versatility.

If you are really determined to go digital I would look at the used or refurbished market. You might find something with an optical zoom and memory and/or batteries.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote