Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jan 24, 2004, 10:12 AM   #1
Default 7 x 5 photos and Nikon Coolpix 885

Hi there folks,

I want to use my Nikon coolpix 885 (3.21 MP) for my holiday in march. I know for a fact when i have the photos developed I won't go over a 7x5 picture.

What is the best resolution to be using in this case?

I know that you will say that the highest setting is always the best (and i agree), but will say moving down from the highest resolution (2048x1536) to the next one down (1024x768) make that much of a difference when i come to have the pictures printed at the camera shop?

I'd like to fit as many high quality pic's as possible with-out wasting valuable CF space on my 256 mb card.

Cheers guys!

conall_boyle_obe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 24, 2004, 1:19 PM   #2

I would personally shoot at best quality JPG (fine) and think out my shots a little more. And critically screen the shots I took everyday, eliminating any that I could do without. Seems you would get around 180 best quality JPGs from a 3Mp camera.

I would go to “normal” or even “basic” in the JPG compression before switching to a lower resolution. I don’t think 1024 X 768 would give good 5 X 7s. “Basic” quality might not either but it is my guess that it would be better than the lower resolution. Shooting the lower resolution at lower quality than fine would be a really bad idea IMO.

Keep in mind that those images are lifetime memories. You might take a great shot you want on the wall or someday buy a good photo printer.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2004, 4:25 PM   #3

I don't think you'd be pleased with the quality, either. Here is a handy chart that you may want to reference:

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote