Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old May 26, 2012, 6:38 AM   #1
Default Framing Picture from Video Using Nikon D5000

I'm new in photography. I'm a final grade student and need to use video camera to collect my data for my thesis. I have to record some moving very small gas bubbles (about 0.1-0.2 mm in diameter) placed in a tube. I have used Nikon D5000 and 52 mm lens. I've transferred it to my computer. I've used imageJ (an image processing software) to get the video frame per frame. The pictures of the moving bubble in the frame is blurry although it has 3300s frames in about one minute. what should I do? Anyone can help? Thank you
nurrohman1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 26, 2012, 8:18 AM   #2

The resolution of video frames isn't great. Even though the D5000 has a 12MP image sensor, the highest resolution video from the D5000 is at 1280x720 pixels (about 0.9MP.) At that resolution, unless you were using a macro (micro) lens, bubbles of the size you say you're looking for, would be blurry. If you captured video at an even lower resolution, it's doubtful you'd be able to see them at all.
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2012, 9:54 AM   #3

Resolution is one part of the situation. The other is the way the camera captures and saves video. As a series of still shots, you can look at it as each shot having a 1/50th second shutter speed, which could cause some motion blur to begin with. The compression used to save video also causes some loss of resolution and sharpness.
My recommendation, if it doesn't conflict with your goals, would be to take the pictures as stills, using the camera's highest resolution. You can shoot 4 frames per second at full resolution, which may be sufficient for your purposes, and will certainly get better photos.

VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote