Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Feb 1, 2004, 7:07 PM   #1
Default microdrive vs compact flash II

Can anyone tell me the difference between microdrive and CF II other than the fact that microdrive memory is less expensive? Is there a preference to brand? Thanks.
hangloose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 1, 2004, 9:56 PM   #2

A Microdrive is actually a little hard drive. It is amazing to look at a cutaway.

CF is solid state flash memory. It is reliable and rugged.

Iím personally more comfortable with CF as Microdrives do fail Ė not often but often enough for me to avoid them. And you wouldnít want to drop one while moving it to your card reader. Quality CF cards have been known to fail but it is rare.

IBM sold the Microdrive to Hitachi. Donít know whether anyone else makes them but I would stick with that brand.

With CF you have to consider both brand and speed. There might be sites that have done tests according to what camera you have.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2004, 2:21 PM   #3

Originally Posted by slipe
... Quality CF cards have been known to fail but it is rare. ...
I'm sure NASA wishes it were even more rare:-)

Price is the advantage of Microdrives. The disadvantages are an altitude limit (10,000ft/3,000m) because the microdrive uses air as a lubricant and microdrives are more fragile. IMHO, the increased fragility of the microdrive is often overstated.

Take a look at the price difference and decide if the slight increase in fragility is tolerable to you.

Most memory failures seem to result from handling: bent pins, static, ... If you are carefull, you are likely not to have problems. If you are not carefull, you are more likely to have problems no matter what kind of memory you use.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote