Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Feb 7, 2004, 12:26 PM   #1
Default DigiCam movie pixels compared to camcorder?

HI! I am new here so maybe this has been covered. I am looking at a digital camera that will take video with sound at 30 frames per second at 640 x 480 pixels. How does this compare to the video quality that a digital camcorder will shoot? I looked online to no avail. Please help if you know. Thanks!
kwajaln is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 9, 2004, 4:09 PM   #2

The Panasonic FZ-10 can do this. I think...its video might be a smaller size, but it can do 30fps. Try reading Steve's review of it.
Red Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2004, 9:37 PM   #3

If you have a serious use for video, most people seem to think it's a lot better & cheaper to have a cheap camcorder as well as your digicam. I certainly find that myself.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2004, 5:14 AM   #4

The only serious format for movies is DV MPEG2, which uses a compression algorithm to reduce image data in still AND moving frames.

Most still digicams offering movie are just recording compressed JPEG images and replaying them sequentially. There is no motion estimation or compensation, so file sizes are HUGE and you won't be able to get decent pans or zoom - even if it's allowed.

If a still cam says it records MPEG movie and the file sizes are not huge, then that might be the one to consider. There are cameras that go the other way- movie with option for stills. But I think there are many compromises made for the price on the stills side. VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote