Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Aug 18, 2002, 2:05 AM   #1
Default best camera for eBay listing pictures

I need to buy my first digital camera. I am borrowing a Kodak EZ200, but it is just awful. I have researched and researched cameras online but have come away totally confused.

Here is what I want:

Price: around $300.00 (less expensive would be great)
Use: posting pictures for online auctions like eBay. Need to be able to take close-up shots of smaller items or details on an item.
Software: Don't have a seperate package for photo editing.
Computer: uses Windows XP (so many cameras aren't compatible with XP)
Pet peeves: color distortion, image in viewfinder is not what I get when I download the picture to my PC (losts of cropping needed) blurry closeups, no flash.

Any recommendations you have for me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
yada100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 18, 2002, 8:15 PM   #2

The needs of web photos are quite undemanding. Technique will count for more than the particular camera as long as the camera is halfway decent. The Canon A10 I have is simple to use and always gives terrific results. You should be able to find one on ebay for a decent price.
padeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2002, 7:25 AM   #3

Padeye is right: just about any camera will do for e-bay pictures unless the items you are selling are smaller than about an inch across. Then you should look the camera's macro capability in some detail.

If you are going to be doing a lot of this, figure on paying about the same for a good tripod. Plus lights, photo editor, and other stuff. If you are going to be doing a lot of shooting for e-bay, look for a camera that can work tethered to your computer. If you aren't really going to be doing much e-bay shooting, look for a camera that will work for whatever else you want to use it for.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote