Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Oct 6, 2013, 8:50 AM   #1
Default FZ200, noise, and RAW

First post so please ignore any mistakes. I own a FZ200. I love the camera but I'm after a bit of advice regarding low light / noise and RAW. I shot some pictures at the NFL game at Wembley last week and having the massive range with a big aperture at the telephoto really helped. I managed to get a few good shots. The problem is they are quite noisy. I shall post an example. I know there is a limit shooting fast, at high ISO in low light, but If I shot RAW would I be able to clean them up more? Any tips? These were taken about 70 - 100 meters from the action.
Attached Images

Last edited by scribblesvurt; Oct 6, 2013 at 8:51 AM. Reason: Distance
scribblesvurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 6, 2013, 10:16 AM   #2

It's impossible to identify noise in reduced resolution images. Could you post some 100% crops from the noisiest portions of your images?
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2013, 12:37 PM   #3

Generally, one can use a Raw developer to produce a final product with minimal noise and better detail than the in-camera jpeg processing. It takes a bit of experimenting with settings, though.
I have found that Topaz labs' Denoise works as well as anything to clean up noise and recover detail in high ISO jpegs. They generally have their plug ins available with a 30 day free trial, so it costs nothing to give it a whirl.

VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2013, 4:27 PM   #4

Despite the FZ200's large aperture/zoom- the 1/2.3" sensor is still going to restrict IQ at the extremes- i.e fast shooting at range/lower light/higher iso's etc...
Shooting RAW does give some degree of manipulation with regards sharpness and noise reduction, never mind colour balance etc...
My experiences of my FZ-150 (similar sensor) shooting RAW is that I can get cleaner results by manipulating the sharpness/noise reduction settings- but after iso 400,I'm fighting a losing battle and results would be pretty much for small image sizes only.
The defaults in the SilkyPix Raw editor supplied offers cleaner results as is- with a MUCH superior colour balance.
Quite often,noise can be exaggerated by an "over enthusiastic" default sharpening in jpeg- and I find the Panny's can be guilty of this- and an area for experimentation in Raw also...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote