Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Feb 22, 2004, 8:43 AM   #1
Default using "bulb"

this is probably a very dumb question. But I've read about people using the bulb setting for long exposures and I've even seen some of the photos in galleries. But I was wondering how do you know how long to make the exposure? Is this something that you NEED a meter for or do you just take several photos with different exposure times ( bracket ) the subject?
rha600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 22, 2004, 11:12 AM   #2

My method is the guess-and-by-gosh sort. And yes, lots of pictures until one actually works, though, after the first photo shows up on the preview screen, you can more easily figure your next exposure. My experience has been one of grossly overestimating the exposure. The last time I did this, I quickly took my camera off its bulb setting, ending up with a mere 15-second exposure.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2004, 11:34 AM   #3

Two methods prevail...one, the trial and error and experience method that Barbara suggested and two, using a light meter. NEED is a factor of how often you do this, how much you're willing to spend on equipment, and your patience
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2004, 10:47 PM   #4

Yes, both methods work, trial and error may win if the exposure gets to be very long and streaches into the minutes.
Even most hand held meters like my old seconic l-398 will only meter up to 1 minute after that it says you are on your own.

At least with digital you don't have to worry about receproity failure, I guess that is replaced with the digital noise generated by very long exposures.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2004, 11:01 PM   #5

Yea, a very long exposure can generate heat. That in turn does bad things to the sensor's ability to sense/record.

eric s is offline   Reply With Quote