Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jan 13, 2014, 7:30 PM   #1
Default Is my camera broken or my memory card??

I have a Sony Cyber Shot and i've been using this for about 3 years now. Last week when i turned on my camera it said "No memory card". But there is! My camera is not broken physically.... And when i tried to put my memory card in my computer to sync all of my pictures, it sync into my computer fine. I dont know what is happening. Is this my memory card fault or my camera. And i didnt change the setting at all last week and it just happened
Lindaexo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 14, 2014, 5:58 AM   #2

Can you try a different memory card?

One of the things that can happen is that the index of files (the File Allocation Table or FAT) can become corrupt, and while computers are sometimes robust enough to get past this, most cameras are not, so the camera fails to read a card that a computer can. A common preventative measure is to format the card periodically, which creates a new FAT and starts fresh. If you've got all your photos on your computer, you could try using your camera to format the card.

Another thing that can happen is that the contacts in the camera that connect to the card can become damaged or oxidized. If they're oxidized, you can remove and reinsert the card repeatedly, wearing away the oxidation. If they're damaged, however, there isn't much you can do.
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2014, 9:38 AM   #3

What kind of memory card is it (SDHC, Memory Stick Pro Duo, etc.)?

If your camera can't see it at all, and your computer can with it in a card reader, you may want to try formatting it using your computer. Then, see if you can format it using the camera's menu choice for format.

What Operating System are you using? If Windows, go to Start>Computer, then "right click" on the drive icon for your memory card and click on the Format menu choice. You'll want to use FAT32 (not NTFS) from the drop down list that comes up for most cards (4GB or larger).

But, if it's an SDHC card, I'd use this tool to format it:

Then, see if your camera can recognize it. If so, use your camera's menus to Format again before using it again (you'll find a Format option in the camera's setup menus somewhere that you can use for that purpose).

Personally, I do that *every* time I reuse a memory card (format it using the camera's menu choice for format before using it again). That way the card always starts out with a fresh FAT (File Allocation Table), just the way the camera expects it, since the camera is performing the format. Formatting it that way is usually much faster than deleting the images from it manually anyway.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2014, 2:29 PM   #4

You can connect memory card to computer with a card reader and see whether it can be detected by computer. Agree with Jim, you can format the memory card to see whether it can be used in the camera.
bryankumery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2014, 8:28 PM   #5
Default Time for a New Card

Those of us who used to use that archaic stuff called "film" remember how expensive photography was. One 36 exposure roll of film could easily cost $5. Process the film and make one print of each - could be $5 to $15. For 36 pictures. Today, that $10 would buy you a card with 16GB of room, enough room for hundreds or thousands of pictures. Why re-use a card? It is a tiny backup of your precious images. When it's full, lock it, put it in a safe place - a fireproof box, your safe deposit box, swap them with a close relative - you store his, he stores yours, "just in case".

They do wear out. If a card gives any error, that is another reason to make sure you have a copy of everything on it, lock it, and start using a new one. They are CHEAP (like me). Then, put in a new card.

I wrote about this and other cheapo ideas on my blog recently:
SpinMan2014 is offline   Reply With Quote