Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Feb 24, 2004, 11:13 PM   #1
Default help me decide....

I'm ready to buy my first digital camera, hopefully one that will last me a long time. I've pretty much narrowed it down to 2 cameras, the Minolta A1 or the Fugi S7000. Most of my picture taking will be done at sports car races so a good zoom and fast shutter speeds are most important.
I would appreciate any input and/or suggestions
Sbrown712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 25, 2004, 8:24 AM   #2

I would prefer the A1. 28mm wide angle gives much better scenes and I would think you would want the big picture sometimes even with a sports car race.

Raw format is useable in the Minolta giving the best quality. Raw in the S7000 is over 13Mb compared to 5Mb on the Minolta and not practical at all.

The big manual zoom ring on the Minolta lets you frame your shots much faster and more accurately than the electric zoom on the Fuji.

Adobe RGB is great if you post process.

The flip-out LCD on the Minolta would let you take pictures over the heads of a crowd or get odd angles. Also good for grabbing candids.

I like having manual controls and the Minolta probably has more than anything on the market.

The A1s real forte is the stabilization, which wont make that much difference in pictures with subject motion. For still shots in the pits etc it is a good feature as you can take handheld shots in lower light without using flash. For general photography it is a feature I wont do without in the future now that I see how good it is on my FZ10. Maybe not that great for sports car racing photography though.

The S7000 takes better movies.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2004, 4:31 PM   #3

Thanks for the input. I was leaning towards the A1 at first but found the S7000 was much less expensive. I see that the A2 is now on the market, I'll see what happens with pricing on that one. It looks like the A1 is already coming down in price and there is a $100 rebate on it too.
It seems funny to me that the S7000 with it's higher pixel count would actually have more noise in the pictures than the lower resolution A1.
Sbrown712 is offline   Reply With Quote