Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Aug 19, 2014, 7:46 AM   #1
Default Learning the specifics

I'm hoping to upgrade from a Canon superzoom point and shoot to something a little more complex but not necessarily a standard SLR. I don't know what yet, though I'm looking at the Nex6 right now. I have that "what to buy" post in that folder. I've always wanted to learn the specifics of manual adjustment of camera controls to get the most out of my camera and if I upgrade, I'll definitely need to. So long way around to asking - where did you learn? Where do you recommend someone learning? Books? Courses? I can't take an actual course right now at a college or anything due to time constraints and my work schedule, but something online is a possibility. Or did you just learn it as you went along?

I want to take better pictures, but it is slightly overwhelming all of the terms and options. So some kind of guide would be awesome.
Thank you!
haradiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 19, 2014, 11:37 AM   #2

I more or less picked it up by 'osmosis'- just learned as I went along, gathering information about how aperture affects depth of field, and shutter speed vs. motion blur, and how these things all fit together. You can get all of this from books and on line resources such as Luminous Landscape (taken with a grain of salt, of course, but that applies to most things on line) or other photography related sites. Steve's digicams main page has a lot of good info.
Photography is fairly simple, there are really only 4 things you can control with the camera - Aperture, Shutter speed, sensitivity (ISO), and focus. Shouldn't take more than 20 or 30 years to master. Enjoy.
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2014, 2:29 PM   #3

I suggest that you get something with good image quality that you won't outgrow (at least for the foreseeable future.) Entry level dSLRs are a good place to start, and are a foundation of whatever your eventual photographic system will grow into.

While mirrorless systems are likely to suit your short term needs, they tend to max out relatively quickly, because their selection of lenses and accessories is limited.
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.

Last edited by TCav; Aug 19, 2014 at 6:52 PM. Reason: sp.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2014, 7:55 AM   #4

I will check out the information here on Steve's. I haven't looked a lot past some of the reviews and the forums yet. Only 20 or 30 years? Well that's encouraging. I was expecting 40 at least.

I would love an SLR but I am trying to keep bulk down some. We hope to have our first kid in the next year or two, so I don't want any more stuff to carry around than will already be necessary.
haradiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2014, 2:46 PM   #5

Leica rangefinder
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2014, 4:12 PM   #6

Originally Posted by haradiel View Post
I will check out the information here on Steve's. I haven't looked a lot past some of the reviews and the forums yet. ...
G'day mate

One of the best sources of Manual camera use instructions etc is 40-50-year old Time-Life camera manuals in the antique / 2nd-hand shops

All very well detailed and explained, as back in them-there days it was all manual to a large extent. There will be shutter speed charts for various subjects, there will be aperture use charts & examples plus 1001 other tidbits

Whatever camera you get probably doesn't really matter - but if you don't need the latest & greatest with all its electronic mod-cons, maybe look for a 2nd-hand one maybe 3-5yrs old ... you might pick up an dSLR kit with 2 lenses for a couple of hundred dollars
Has Fuji & Lumix superzoom cameras and loves their amazing capabilities
Google me at Travelling School of Photography Australia
Recent images at http://www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2014, 3:31 AM   #7

I've learned from experience and reading much about photography.
Here you find a free online ebook on photography:

Last edited by rudimaes; Sep 4, 2014 at 12:33 AM.
rudimaes is offline   Reply With Quote