Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Mar 9, 2004, 12:41 PM   #11

Sorry to be slow, but I have to assume I do not understand the original post and wonder if it is a print size issure or a monitor display resolution issue.

For my own understanding, please appease me and use my "highly technical" drawing below to clarify.

If the original picture is the left one, what is the result.
1) Same size picture with larger object as the middle or
2) Same size object but smaller picture as the right.

PKchopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2004, 4:07 PM   #12

Many thanks again. I think I understood the idea.

PKchopper: in your drawing it is second way my camera works. It just crops in the center without stretching back to 4 megapixels. And since I canít see any difference in quality between the pictures taken in either way, perhaps the only advantage is a smaller size of file.
sstarless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2004, 4:08 PM   #13

The only other advantage it might provide is help with composition on an object that is to far away, that you cannot approach closer. It's still pretty much a gimic though. Taking a shot without digital zoom and croping later or taking the shot with digital zoom and crop while you shoot. While the digital zoom lets you see closer and have imediate perspective on your crop while you take the shot, if you don't use the digital zoom, you can second guess and change the crop as many times as you want. If you crop with digital zoom, the crop is final and the rest of the information is lost. I'll sometimes go to digital zoom to get a closer look for composition, but then draw back the zoom to optical only and shoot, so that I have more liberty in cropping afterwords.
richardh is offline   Reply With Quote