Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Mar 12, 2004, 9:18 PM   #1
Default 5700 v. g5

hi everybody. i'm new to this board but i've been looking into buying a digi cam for a while. the one i'm mainly looking at right now is the nikon coolpix 5700 but the price is kind of out of my range.

i've also been looking at the canon powershot g5, but i'm not too sure if it'll suffice my needs.

i'm not totally new to digital photography since i've been playing around with my brother-in-laws fuji s5000 for a while, but now its feels kind of limited and i want something with more features/settings that i can play around with.

so the question is do you think i should save for the 5700 or go out and buy the g5? also i like to do alot of night shooting with long exposures, and i think the 5700 has slower shutter speeds.

if possible could someone also post some nightshots with both cameras or point me to somewhere where i'd find some.

tshhater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 13, 2004, 9:10 PM   #2

It takes a really dark night to need over 15 seconds. There are specialized situations where you might want a lot of DOF or long star streaks and need a small aperture, but I’ve never needed it. The G5 has a full f-stop faster lens, so 15 seconds on the G5 is equal to 30 seconds on the Nikon. And the 5700 is limited to 8 seconds if the camera times the night shot – so if you let the camera make a night shot the G4 will shoot in a quarter the light.

The 5700 doesn’t have a focus assist and the low light focus is poor according to Phil at dpreview. They compound that by not putting the focus distance in the EVF or LCD – stupid IMO.

If your primary interest is low light the G5 is probably the better camera.

Otherwise the Nikon is an excellent camera.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote