Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Aug 27, 2002, 10:03 PM   #1
Default G2, or CP4500

Hi, I bet you guys get tired of hearing that same old question, " which one"?
Well I am sorry but that is just the situation i'm in. I have been reading reviews and looking at pictures untill I have it down to G2 and CP4500, I think.
I have been taking pictures for many years so I am not a newbie to photography, I am however a newbie to digital. I made the switch a few years back to automatic and feel that was a mistake. I like the freedom of auto it just doesn't take the quality I am used to.
I don't want to make the same mistake in digital. Please give me some ideas on the better camera, or does it matter as long as it is a quality camera? Thanks!

[Edited on 8-28-2002 by BP]
BP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 27, 2002, 10:12 PM   #2

A quick contrast and comparison:

Both 4 megapixel, both take great images. At super low ISO (ISO-50) the G2 is a bit better image. Similar features but vastly different lenses. The low light capabilities on the G2 are superior. The CP4500 doesn't focus well in low light conditions and has a much slower lens.

The macro and telephoto capabilities are much better on the CP4500. Telephoto is nearly unlimited to as much as 6000mm connected to a good spotting scope for the 4500. G2 probably gets slightly better images right out of the camera with no tweaking - but pretty much limited to about a 1.7x tele zoom on top of the 3x.

Maybe neither of these is the best choice for you if you are really interested in manual features. I would look long and hard at the E10 Olympus. It's more like a film SLR than either of these two.

If you can afford it, take a long look at the Canon D60 or Nikon D100. These offer very similar performance and characteristics to a real film SLR.

Best regards,

[Edited on 8-28-2002 by Lin Evans]
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2002, 10:53 AM   #3

My little 4500 is a great camera, but as a long-time SLR film photographer, I just can't adjust to the design and size of this camera. You should handle both before you decide. If you can't, go for the G2.

I am selling my 4500, and previously sold a C4040 for the same reason. I sure hope the 5700 I just ordered is closer to a "real camera."

All 4 digitals I've had (C4040, E-20, D-60, CP4500) take great pictures and each has it's own neat features, but handling is very important to me.

I love the D-60, and I am very sorry I sold my E-20 (wish I had it back). You might want to consider an E-10 or E-20. Many poster love the D7i, but I'm a name snob.

Robert Eastburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2002, 8:11 PM   #4

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/C4500/C45A.HTM Try this review for the Nikon and this page for the Cannon. http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/G2/G2A.HTM After reading both, I'd opt for the Cannon.
The Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2002, 9:52 PM   #5

After reading both, I'd opt for the Cannon
Probably, it would be wise to base a purchasing decision on more than the results of a single review.

Both cameras (this from extensive personal experience with both) can take excellent images. Which one is right for a particular individual would depend on many factors, not the least of which would be the intended use. There are things which the Nikon can do, and do very well, which can't be done by the Canon at all. On the other hand, there are things which the Canon can do which the Nikon does only with great difficulty.

To make an intelligient decision would require the seeker to determine his or her priorities for shooting. If there is no need for extreme's in macro or telephoto, then the decision is more difficult and would depend on which feature set is preferred. If the need exists for the extreme in either telephoto or macro photography the choice is much easier because the Canon can't handle extreme telephoto at all and only does extreme macros by using stacked accessories.

Best regards,

Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2002, 3:22 PM   #6
Default Doctor, PLEASE reduce size of your profile pic!

Hi Doctor,

Please do us a favor and reduce the size of your profile picture. As nice as it is, it is HUGE and it causes ALL messages in any thread you're involved in to widen the sender colum and narrow the message text column. Making it REALLY unpleasant to read the messages (which are really the whole point of this board).

Please please please, oh pretty please?

Thank for considering it.
TD27 is offline   Reply With Quote