Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Mar 30, 2004, 5:55 AM   #1
Default Does the T1 take good quality photos?

I'm seriously considering buying a digital camera..I usually don't care much for looks, but I'm literally hooked to the Sony DSC-T1..
It looks good, is small, and has all the features I need like zoom and a big LCD..However, as far as I've been able to learn, it has two major setbacks: Its weak flash, and the tendency to have noise in photos, especially in low-light conditions.
I'm not totally "out-of-my-mind" for this camera, however, and -if recommended- I will shift to the Canon A80, which is,like, the besst camera available here in Turkey (and it's cheaper too.)
As far as I know, the A80 has superior flash/picture quality to the Sony, but it's just too big ( :?) and I think it's LCD is way too small.
What would you recommend? I'm not in a hurry, I'd like to learn as much as I can before buying..Thanks for your time.
Griffon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 30, 2004, 8:34 AM   #2

Measure out 5 feet (1.5M) and imagine you canít take a flash photo further than that. Most of my flash shots fall outside that range. Keep in mind that is at wide angle. If you zoom in that range actually gets smaller.

It also doesnít have an eye-level viewfinder. You always have to shoot using the LCD. It does have a very nice LCD for doing that though.

The movies are excellent on the T1.

F3.5 isnít that great for maximum f stop. Low light is going to be a problem whether or not you use flash.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2004, 2:38 PM   #3

Thanks for your reply, slipe..
I'm not at all disappointed by the lack of an eye-level viewfinder, I've read that even very good cameras sometimes capture a little away from what you see on the viewfinder..
Though it sure hurts battery life...
And, 1,5 meters?? Wow, that's like, REALLY short..I read it was better than that :/
And, well, do you think the Canon A80 would be a better investment? (I've read both reviews on Steve's..And I think the A80 has better picture quality, even though it's 4.0 MP..) I know I will be REALLY sorry if I buy the T1 and then it turns out to be a bad camera..
I would ask for alternatives, but we don't have many choices in the Turkish market.. (Kodak, Sony, HP, Nikon and Canon are the good brands that are sold here, not even Fuji AFAIK..)
Griffon is offline   Reply With Quote