Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Apr 14, 2004, 10:13 AM   #1
Default question about DSLR's

Having never actually held one I have really basic question about the digital SLR type cameras - (I'm especially interested in the D70)

I read somewhere that with the SLR style digitals, the image does not appear on the LCD screen as you are composing a shot - that you have to use the viewfinder. I guess the LCD is for review/playback and menus. Is this all corect?
jkmasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 14, 2004, 10:16 AM   #2

That is correct. Since the D70 has a shutter and mirror, the image does not show through the lcd untill after the image is taken (that is optional) Beyond that, you just use the lcd to check the histogram, change menu settings, etc.
mdparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2004, 7:55 PM   #3
Default Is that a bad thing

I have a Canon S50 and I love the point and click pictures it gives me But I have always taken pictures thruough the view finder and on the S50 the LCD has the information I need on the settings. I drives me crazy that I can't see the info in the view finder.
It may sound silly but it is a factor in my dission for going to the D70. I want to put the camera to my eye and see what I'm getting not stare at the back.
goodrich62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2004, 4:12 AM   #4

D70's in viewfinder details are a little lacking tho - I constantly find myself flipping the camera off my eye to see the top LCD display and back again to the viewfinder in composing some shots.

The D70 being so fast to write, I can sometimes "shoot at the hip" and review the image quickly to decide if it's a keeper.
Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote