Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Apr 15, 2004, 6:17 PM   #1
Default A80 or S410?

I am 13 years old and looking to buy my first digital camera. I have spent days looking at reviews and have narrowed it down to these two Canon models. I prefer the size and design of the S400, but I like the swivelling LCD on the A80.

I would be using the camera mainly for holidays and shots of my friends, but also for some more artistic photography. I would like to have the manual controls, but I am not sure how much I would really use them. Price aside, which would you say is the best model for me?

Also, if anyone knows of a camera which combines the compact size of the S400 and also has some manual features in the same price range, I would really like to hear about them. And if anyone owns either of these cameras, do you recommend them?

I have also read that the shutter lags on these cameras are significant, is this a big issue?
florence is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 15, 2004, 8:26 PM   #2

In a matter of two months I had bought a Sony P52, a Canon SD100 and now a Sony V1...If you want a camera for more that point & shoot, get one with the most manual functions - these cameras still have full auto mode but will have longer staying power if you need to progress beyond point & shoot.

FYI, a small camera with full manual functions would probably be the Sony W1 to be released soon.
Buckrogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2004, 11:22 AM   #3

I will choose the S410 just because of its size (great portability to events and parties) and the beautiful shots you can take.
iKwak is offline   Reply With Quote