Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Apr 22, 2004, 7:37 AM   #1
Default I'm So Kunfused!

I am your typical newbie wanting to buy a digital camera, but don't which to buy, and need some help and guidance.

My situation is this; I am not a pro photographer and don't need alot of bells and whistles that I will never need, use, or understand. I hunt wild hogs in the swamps of Florida and fish offshore in the ocean. I want a good sturdy durable camera that will take good color indoor and outdoor shots in low light and brite light, average distance to further out. Don't care about camera size, actually a larger camera is probably better for me as I have large hands/fingers. I am not dainty and want a camera that can stand up to rugged outdoor treatment and environment. I like a larger LCD screen and ease of use.

I have a decent Dell 8550 series PC at home to store pics but will have some printed at photo shop and maybe enlarged to 8"x10" max.

I have a Cannon 35mm Sure Shot that I have been using for over 10 years. It has served me well. It has been wet, been dropped numerous times, and keeps on working. Durability and trouble free operation is what I hope to find in a digital camera.

I have read reviews until I am dizzy. They all seem to say something different.

I saw an Olympus camera that had a 10x lens that would be great for longer range outdoor shots but I don't know much about it or the brand. I see some new cams that use a disk instead of a mem card. Are they good?

My budget limit is up to about $400-$500 but don't want to spend any more than I have to. What do yall suggest for me to look at and consider and why?

Thanks for any help and experienced guidance.

Dave001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 22, 2004, 9:04 AM   #2

Hello Dave, I would suggest the Panasonic DMC- FZ10. It has a 12X zoom lens (Leica) that has image stabilization. Read the review that Steve made on this camera.
Nert is offline   Reply With Quote