Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Apr 24, 2004, 1:11 PM   #1
Default Fuji s7000 or Kodak dx6490

I've been reading these forums for about a year now... just following the cameras, and what people think. I am a complete newbie when it comes to cameras... I've read ALOT of reviews and threads in various forums.. so I have a basic understanding of the features..etc. But no real personal experience.

I have chosen these two cameras based on price, and the fact that I'm a techie. I need the features that I'll probably rarely use. Now, given that I can get these two cameras (the fuji s7000 or kodak dx6490 with docking station and rechargeable battert) for the same price... I would like some professional advice from you guys.

On paper, the s7000 definately looks like a better camera... but I have read reviews indicating that image quality is soo pooor.. even though it's a 6mp camera. Printing mostly 4x6's, occasional legal size, and alot of online/webpage use... does the 6mp quality of the fuji come out soo poor that it will look worse than the 4mp quality of the kodak?

I would appreciate it if you guys could help me decide between these two cameras. Thanks soo much!
TheMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 25, 2004, 1:32 AM   #2
Default They're both decent cameras, but ...

I have had the S7000 since November and have been quite pleased with its images. I can hardly believe that its picture quality would be poorer than the Kodak 6490, though that camera has some nice features, including the 10X optical zoom.

Frankly, I think either of these cameras is more than adequate for your stated requirements. There are lots of 3 Meg cameras that would be fine.

I believe the S7000 has more advanced features than the Kodak. Kodak seems to aim mainly at making decent cameras which are very easy to use for amateur photo enthusiasts. I think you will need to read the instruction manual carefully to get the most out of the S7000.

Anyway, good luck!
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2004, 3:02 PM   #3

thanks robbo.

I am leanin towards the kodak, since I'm still very new at this. I will probably get myself a more advanced one if the kodak doesnt cut it. I am at a stage where I can cycle through cameras about every year. So it will work out.
TheMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2004, 7:26 PM   #4

you may want to buy an s7000. best buy is clearing them out for $455.00. fuji is offering a $100.00 mail in rebate for this camera. that's $355.00 for this camera. you simply can't beat this offer. ritz camera is still selling them for $699.00.

are you still reading this post. get outta here and head to best buy. lol.
lodingi is offline   Reply With Quote