Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Apr 24, 2004, 4:26 PM   #1
Default A1, S7000 or 8700?

:?: I am currently in the market for my first Digital, my budget is around $700. Having read many reviews I have narrowed my choice down to 3. The Minolta A1, the Fuji S7000 or the Nikon 8700. Please advise as to making my final choice. Picture quality is my main objective I will be taking many motor sports photos as well as general photography.
MikeGarland is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 25, 2004, 8:57 AM   #2
Default Go with the Nikon

I bought a Minolta A2 and didn't like the image quality. I saw samples of the s7000 and the image quality there was awful. A lot of noise. However, I love the photographic quality in my Coolpix 8700. The images are sharp, well saturated, and the color is accurate. I bought the extra verticle hand grip/battery pack and am so glad I did. The camera is much easier to hold on to and the batteries last a long time now.

There is a site to go to to compare pictures of the different cameras. Look at the differences and see which ones are closer to what you would like. No camera is perfect, and neither is the 8700. But if image quality is what you are after, this may be the right camera for you.

hangloose1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2004, 7:28 PM   #3

you may want to buy an s7000. best buy is clearing them out for $455.00. fuji is offering a $100.00 mail in rebate for this camera. that's $355.00 for this camera. you simply can't beat this offer. ritz camera is still selling them for $699.00.
lodingi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2004, 10:45 AM   #4

Well, of the 3 you listed, I'd probably opt for the Nikon as well. That being said, if there is ANY way you can budget for more, then a digital SLR will provide you with much more flexibility with the "motor sports photos" you say you wish to take.

A Canon Digital Rebel can be found on the web for around $879 with the basic lens (buydig.com) and if you search around, you can find a Canon 75-300mm lens with image stabilization for a decent price, that will give you much better shots for sports photography than any of the three you listed. DSLRs are much faster, offer better image quality, and less noise, than any consumer level model.

atlantagreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2004, 5:17 PM   #5

A1 5MP

with the 8MP it seems they're trying to cram pixels w/o enlarging the imager. that is where some noise is introduced. here is where i believe the 4/3 system my make its mark. i also use a Hi MP DSLR too but i like this one for quick field trips. i shoot RAW with this about 50% the other about 80%. that will make a difference by bypassing the internal processing of the camera.

the feel of this camera is the nearest to a real slr feel. the others leave me cold with push button zooms and PB that. they're also really slow compared to the A series. yes the AF misses about 10% trying HS shots with AF but compared to the others by the time they take the shot its too late. these are not sports cameras. they don't carry the ISO or speed of a real Dslr.

you must learn the camera and its quirks then you master it. believe me few do.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote