Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Sep 3, 2002, 8:04 PM   #1
Default new to dig.cam.would like to use slr lenses

i am sure this ? asked a bunch.never used a dig camera and would like to take pics of my reef aquariums to post on web forums for id of invertebrates.need good quality.have all nikon equipment(N5005 and 3 pt.and shoots,lots of lenses) which i have used mainly for outdoor photos and family.looking at the 995 but also saw a review on steve's sight about a slr /dig combo that would use my lenses.of course one is 500 and the other 2000.would i be ok with the 995 or would it eventually end up in the closet with others.need to take closeups.last ? can these dig cameras go outdoors(boating,snow skiing,hiking).i lied one more ?.not worried about staying with a brand as much as quality(also love to enlarge prints)thanks beach
beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 3, 2002, 8:09 PM   #2

There is a debate on this issue. Remember that today's dSLRs are not full frame ... in effect all yur images will be cropped so you can not get full value of the lens. OTOH, the hips in these cameras are said to be good enough so while the images are cropped, they are still good.

OTOH the better consumer cameras have very good resolution and great zooms.

Personally, I wold wait until the dSLRs get full frame.
Steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2002, 10:51 AM   #3

Given the rate digicams are improving and the price is dropping, I'd suggest that you get a low level digicam that will support an external flash. An external flash because that will be needed for aquarium shots, and low level since you said the primary use would be for the web.

That will give you some experience with using a photo editor: the digital darkroom. One of the dirty little secrets of digital photography is that you have to do your own "darkroom" work.

Or simply shoot a few rolls of film and have them cut onto a CD - that is fairly cheap if it is done when the film is processed. Then spend some time learning how to use a photo editor. After you have learned how to use a photo editor, you will have a better idea of what you want in a digicam, you will be ready to use it, and the prices are almost certain to have come down.

Steves' comment on full-frame is esp important if you want to use wide-angle lenses. But I don't think waiting to get into digital photography in some way is a good idea.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote