Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Sep 5, 2002, 7:13 PM   #1
Default what is a good dig with 3pixel and zoom

hate to ask this but getting too much info off the reviews.want to start in dig cam world need macro capabilities and zoom (b-ball games and for closeups of tissue specimens)need 3megapixel for enlargements .use nikon equipment now(slr)but am not brand particular.no camera stores near by plan on buying from the net please suggest net stores.thanks jbmc@bright.net
beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 6, 2002, 4:15 PM   #2
Default A few questions first

I have a two questions for you to narrow your search.
1 How much are you willing to spend?
(remember on most cameras you will still have to buy extra rechargeable batteries/charger and also a bigger flash card)

2 How much optical zoom do you want? (is 3X enough or do you want more like 6 to 10 X)
dc9mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2002, 5:10 PM   #3
Default First Camera

The Olympus C4000Z could meet your needs. It has a 3X optical zoom and 3.3X digital zoom, combined zoom of 10X. I prefer only using the optical zoom. It also has a macro mode and a super macro mode. You can buy on line for less than $400.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2002, 8:56 AM   #4

Ignore "digital zoom" -- it should be called cropping and it's not a feature, you can do at at home with MS paint or Photoshop.

If you like Nik- check out the 900 series or the 4500... Nikon has that macro that just can't be beat- I think the 4500 has 4x zoom and takes the Nikon teleconverters and other lenses. It has the swivel body which I can't stand, but long time Nikon users seem to love it.

If you're looking in the $1000 range it seems to be a race between the Minolta D7/(D7Hi to be released soon), Sony 707/ (717 to be released soon), and Nikon 5700-- they have the added 5-8x optical zooms. You can throw the Fuji 602z in with that bunch also. You'll have to read steve's and dpreview's reviews-- most of us haven't got to use the cameras side by side so go with the pros and let them help you decide.

Probably need to know how much you can spend, how much zoom you plan on needing, and how close on the macro end you need to be and if you're looking for a SLR type large camera or smaller or pocket sized camera.
whittonj is offline   Reply With Quote