Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old May 19, 2004, 9:26 PM   #1

Thanks to the responses on my previous post, I have decided to invest ina camera with a good telephoto zoom. I am torn between the Minolta Dimage Z1 and the Fuji S5000. I have done some pretty good research and would greatly value anyone's personal opinion from this site. It seems that the Z1 can be found at a cheaper price (I guess because of the new Z2). I was also wondering if it would be worth it to shell out about another $100 for the Z2 or Kodak DX-6490. The Z1 and S5000 are both 3MP and 10X zoom so if anything can steer me towards one or the other (or even another option that I don't know about) that would be wonderful. I will be using this camera mostly to take wildlife shots in a local nature preserve.

Thanks again!

pikabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 19, 2004, 9:35 PM   #2

I have held both of those cameras in my hands, and the most difference between them i have found is as follows:

1. the Z1 seems to AF just a tiny bit faster

2. the Z1 has an external hotshoe for an additional flash

3. the Z1 uses SD, and the S5000 uses XD

Other than that, and of course the color, I have found no huge appreciable difference between the two cameras. All I can say is GO HANDLE THEM! Go to a store and play with both.

I personally like the feel of the Z1 better, but I have seen many, many people come into my store with one in mind and leave with the other because of the feel of the camera.

Honestly, for more than 90% of what those cameras do, they might as well have been made on the same assembly line. Go play with them a bit and decide which camera 'feels' better.
Gandalf065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2004, 9:22 AM   #3

Take a look at Steve's review of the Toshiba M700. I believe that he included it in his "Best of 2003" list.

3.2MP, 10x Canon zoom, sd card, large (2.5 inch) lcd, and the adapter tube for mounting filtersis included. I paid $330 US for mine from delivered from Tiger Direct. I have seen factory refurbs w/ only a 30 day factory warranty on ebay for $235 + s&h.

It has a weak flash, but I solved that by using an external flash with a slave trigger ($10) and a bracket that mounts on the tripod socket.

Hope this helps, Lou
derbunk is offline   Reply With Quote