Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old May 31, 2004, 5:38 AM   #1

Hi all,

What a nice site Steve got here :-)

I bought a new Digicamera (Sony DTC-1) that is a very small camera with the flash right next to the lens.

The new camera is nice, but ofcourse (?) red eyes flash problem is huge.

Now I thought that removing red eyes with software is an easy thing to do, but the software I tried withmy Windows PC is no good.

Some software changes parts of the eyelids to grey and/or then the red is changed to light gray, that does not look nice eihter

If anyone know a great way to get rid of red eyes please tell me

Thank You

The red eye function on the camera is a joke I think.
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 31, 2004, 7:13 AM   #2

well...you could always try selecting the iris with a circular marquee, and "Hue/Saturate" it back to the right color, then delete the parts that aren't directly on the eye.......or "paint" a light greenish color (the exact opposite of the red) over the eye, the colors will cancel eachother out, and they "should" go back to the right color....
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2004, 12:27 AM   #3

hehe I thought that there would be some kind of program that can remove red eyes automatically, just click on eye and the program fixes it.

Thank you for anwser, I will try to understand it :roll:
Old Jun 1, 2004, 1:44 AM   #4

There actually are a number of programs which have Red Eye removal as an option. I use the very fine print utility Qimage which has a very simple way of dealing with red eye. If you don't have the program and do your own printing, you owe it to yourself to examine it. There is a free trial period and you can download and experiment.

Link below:

Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2004, 1:45 AM   #5

Thank you, I download it and give it a try
Old Jun 4, 2004, 8:09 AM   #6

My scanner came with Arcsoft's PhotoStudio which does a very good job at correcting red eye. You just click on the eye and there!! But for best results you have to zoom into the picture so that you can see the eye clearly and select the proper tool brush size to avoid what you described - parts of the eyelids becoming gray.

This program also works wonders with most dark pictures.
luisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2004, 3:27 PM   #7

I always have red eyes. Visine works, but after a while you just stop caring. :evil:
Red Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2004, 1:44 AM   #8

Not an expert on the topic, but red-eye is usually caused by the flash being mounted too close to the lens.

There are a couple of ways to avoid the red-eye. Some cameras send out a beam of light prior to the shutter opening, which causes the subject's pupils to contract, lessening the red-eye affect.

A better option is to mount a flash away from the camera. If your camera provides the ability to mount an external flash, then you could affix a flash, and point it at the ceiling, so that the flash light gets reflected from the ceiling. Usually you get a nice result.

Another technique is to use a "slave" flash, which is when a flash is put on a flash stand or tripod several feet from your lens. Either the flash is set off by using a "synch" cord so when you press on the shutter, a pulse is sent thru the sync cord to set off the flash. Or, the flash on your camera can trigger some slave flashes that sense another flash has gone off.

Thats the totality of it. However, your best bet is to use an external flash and bounce the light off a wall or the ceiling.

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote