Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jun 9, 2004, 8:32 AM   #1

Heh I understand the n00bs u get in here, so PLEASE bear with me.

At the moment we have a POS, Olympus CAmedia 2. It is a BASIC point and shoot camera, and we are goin to the orients, so we intend to upgrade to a good, sturdy camera, that shud last a couple of years

So far ive been looking keen to get the Cannon EOS Digital Rebel. It isnt too expensive, and isnt a TOTALLY pro camera either.

We need a camera which has semi-pro functionality at amateur price, so thats what we were looking at, do any of you have any other suggestions. Also DSLR vs normal, will i really see taht big of a difference?

Thanks for ur help!!!
Athlon_Rulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 9, 2004, 4:32 PM   #2

Rebel would be good.

Buy extra compact flash. At least 1Gig's worth.

At least one Extra battery (or Buy a DPS9000 battery - see battery topics for more info on this battery).

Make sure you take your charger and have a 220-120 convertor for it

Have fun
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2004, 7:27 AM   #3

Hey there, went to the store and checked out the Digital Rebel. Shite its a nice camera, but its not the one for us...i mean its amazing, but we need something a little...easier. I suppose SLR isnt yet in our books. I also checked out a Sony Cybershot, with this giant 10x lens. I wonder if thats any good?

I mean to say as in, We want a camera with some manual features such as shutter speeds, and aperature settings...but one taht can also point and shoot if necessary. A decent sized zoom is also necessary...

any ideas?
Old Jun 10, 2004, 7:50 AM   #4

If you're an Olympus fan, why not one of the C-7x0 series of cameras. If you don't have enough experience to understand things like, "if you zoom in fully you'll need a 1/400th shutter speed in order to handhold a shot" you should go with a camera with image stabilization like the Canon S1 IS or Panasonic DMC-FZ10...Steve has reviews on all of those cameras, except for the newest Olympus, the C-770 (but you can look at older C-7x0 cameras).
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2004, 3:39 PM   #5

The FZ10 would meet your needs. It's got a great 12X lens that tops out at 420mm and can work in p&s mode or manual.
Red Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2004, 11:45 PM   #6

You probably saw the Sony DSC F717 with the big lens. I love mine! Completely satisfied!This forum and the review site will really help!

Good luck with your decision!

Trique Daddi
Trique Daddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2004, 4:28 AM   #7

thanks for the replies m8s...anywho, i checked out some of the reviews.. and i AM intrigued with the Panasonic Lumix FZ10...We already have a panasonic camcorder, thus the memory would be interchangeable (not the DV cassette, but the other memory stick, i think called SD?).

Generally speaking we are so far intrigued with the:

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ10
Canon PowerShot S1 IS
Kodak EasyShare DX6490
Fuji FinePix S5000

I understand that these are 2003 cameras...are there any new 2004 cameras that i should also look for?
Old Jun 20, 2004, 9:48 AM   #8

I don't think you should be considering the S5000, the cameras mentoned previously are in a different league to the S5000- consider the S7000 instead.

There have been issues with the overall quality of the DX6490 images- I've never had one, it's just what I've heard.

The S1 or FZ10 are both very nice new cameras. I would also be looking at:

Fuji S7000

Minolta Z2

Canon Powershot G5

Nikon 5700 or 8700

You seem to be looking at a very wide price range, so I don't have much idea what you want to spend, first it was 700+ on a Rebel, then right down to 250 for a S5000. Any indication on price range would help.
jakeusticus is offline   Reply With Quote