Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jun 9, 2004, 9:37 AM   #1

My wife wants a diital camera that she can: turn on, zoom in-out as much as she wants, and snap a photo. She does not want to fool with different modes or settings - just set it on auto and click away. This will be out first Digital camera.

We realize that some photos will not be possible if the camera is just set to automatic mode, but if we can get most shots this way it will be good enough.

We are considering an Olympus C-740due to the much lower price compared to the C-745 or C-765. Would it be a good choice to fill the requirement listed above? Would it be worth forking out the $$ for a C765? Other cameras to look at?:shock:

Thumbie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 9, 2004, 10:06 AM   #2

See my "Best Cameras" listing, scroll down to 10-12x Super Zoom Cameras

All of these cameras have an Auto or "P"rogram auto mode that lets them be used like a simple point-n-shoot. Some also have more advanced modes on the dial as would be expected from a super-zoom camera. Just tell the wife to leave the dial on Auto or P.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2004, 10:57 AM   #3

If this is your first (serious) camera and you want megazoom, I suggest getting a camera with image stabilization. Although I'm an Olympus (C-700) user and love the picture quality of the C-7x0 series, if you don't understand the limits of handheld long zooming and limits of photography (i.e. for a fully zoomed in picture you need at least a 1/400th second shutter speed), your long zoom pictures will suffer from handshake which the image stabilization (IS) will compensate for (but probably not totally eliminate), and you will have to go through this learning curve (which you may not want to do).

Two megazoom IS cameras are the Panasonic DMC-FZ10 and the Canon S1 IS, both of which have been reviewed by Steve.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2004, 3:33 PM   #4

The FZ10 kicks ass.
Red Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2004, 9:51 AM   #5

my toshiba PDR-M500 is gold... you could also get the M700 with 3.2MP
Redman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2004, 2:44 PM   #6

I just got a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ10, and I love it. Although it is much more effective if you know how to use manual settings, it can be used point-and-shoot as well, and the 12x Optical zoom stabilized lens is phenomenal for the price. Depending on what you want, the smaller FZ1 or FZ2, with a 2MP but still the 12x zoom lens, is much cheaper and may be a better choice.
VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2004, 5:08 PM   #7

I completely agree with VC, if you go with the FZ-10, you'll be much more impressed when you learn some of the manual adjustments. I have found that I can really improve an image taken in straight Auto "P" with a few minor adjustments. This camera really makes learning photography fun!
srvsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2004, 11:21 PM   #8

I almost got the FZ10, but went with the S1 IS so I could use my CF, and based on some tests I did I could get faster shutter speeds at the same ISO and aperture settings on the S1.
pianoplayer88key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2004, 9:34 AM   #9

I have a Minolta Z1, which you should now be able to get very cheap since the release of the Z2. 10x Optical zoom, combined = 40x, very simple to use- sounds like manual features etc. will be overkill for your wife's purposes. Excellent Movie Mode as well makes nice addition- although some users have had sound problems in movie mode.

I bought mine for just over £180....
jakeusticus is offline   Reply With Quote