Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jun 9, 2004, 12:20 PM   #1

I'm looking for a good, compact camera.
My favorites are
Olympus C50
Olympus Stylus 400
Pentax S4

Could you recommend one of these, or recommend another good compact camera in this price section?

Thanks, Schmock
Schmock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 9, 2004, 1:17 PM   #2

I happen to have both a C50 and S4. I switched from the C50 to the S4 as my carry everywhere camera strictly for size and weight. The C50 is more versatile and lets me print halfway decent 13 X 19 prints, but it is a bit large to carry all the time.

I bought the C50 two years ago when it was first released. There are several that have been released since I would prefer in that size range. I would have gotten the Pentax 550/555 had it been available for the extra zoom since the size is about the same. And I prefer the Minolta G500 for size. In the US the G500 is a bargain but I don't know about the Konica Europe version – I think a Konica KD510. One thing I didn't like about the Oly was having to buy a dead-end xD card for it. SD has taken over the small card market for MP3 players, PDAs etc and are more reasonable in price. The C50 has been a very good camera overall.

The S4 is a nice little camera and easier to carry around. It is only 4Mp and is lacking manual exposure control, which I miss. It does have manual focus. The panorama mode doesn't fix the exposure with the first shot like the Oly does and you don't have manual as a backup. I am pleased with the quality though. The corners are soft but that has yet to detract from an image. If you were copying maps as an example the corner softness would be irritating, but it doesn't detract from normal photos at all.

The Oly Stylus 400 is too point-and-shoot to satisfy me. It is weatherproof though. It also takes the dead-end xD cards. The reason I call them dead-end is that they will never likely be used in anything but Oly and Fuji equipment.

Take a look at the Konica KD510 if it is in your price range. It is full featured and smaller than the C50. The small Canons are pricey but very good quality. Most take CF cards which are economical. The Elf series in the US has manual exposure but no aperture or shutter priority. Not a big shortcoming IMO for a pocket camera as long as you have manual. I also like the orientation sensor in the Canons so you don't have to rotate the image if you take the shot with the camera held vertically.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote