Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jun 10, 2004, 12:34 AM   #1

I've been researching much for my first digital camera buy.

The purpose for my camera is mostly for family shots, vacation, print and share.

I was looking fora fewbasic things: at least 3x optical,short lag time (or minimal shutter lag.. basically the ability to take photos rapidly so I don't miss the shot.. espescially when it comes to children) and video record with sound (since I never whip out the video camera, a little video snippet to record a "moment" is perfect). And my budget allows me only to go to $250.

After much research I fell in love with the A75. It seemed to have everything I want.

But now the p8 just dropped down to $250.

The Sony has info-lithium batteries, is a little more compact, and is limited only by the memory capacity for video mode (whereas the A75 only takes up to 2 1/2 minutes)

I need a camera maven who knows what it is I'm missing when looking at these two cameras.

The P8 vs. Canon A75. Which is the better buy? I know both of them live up to the standards of my use.. now it just boils down to which will make me happier in the long run.
(x-posted into the other forums)
gamergeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 10, 2004, 2:15 AM   #2

I tested an Canon A75 on 3-dayloan as well as a SonyP93 and P10. I guess you know the P10 is just the 5MP version of the P8.

It should be easy for you to decide between the A75 and P8 as they are biased to quite different uses.

I found the A75 to be a little slow in operation, give soft images with bad purple fringing at times, struggle to focus in low light and was slightly large for my pockets. I sent it back. However it was great to hold, looked nice, the manual modes were superb at the price, great battery life and pleasing "smooth" looking images.

The P10 (virtually identical to your P8) was quicker in use, had sharper more "punchy" images straight off the camera, brilliant low-light ability down to complete darkness and was far more suitable for pockets. The P10 also looks and feels good quality. P10 downsides are no manual modes as such, bit small to hold for large hands and you need to budget an extra InfoLithium battery.

I would not buy an A75 unless I *really* needed all the manual modes.

I'm an experienced ex-SLR photographer and this is my second digicam. I bought the Sony P10!

Your choice might be different.

Cybershot455 is offline   Reply With Quote