Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

View Poll Results: Which camera would you choose
Minolta Dimage S414 1 25.00%
Canon PowerShot A80 2 50.00%
Olympus C-5000 1 25.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jun 15, 2004, 4:17 PM   #1

It appears that people don't want to pick a camera without knowing what the potential user is looking for in a camera. So, I am revising my post.

I want a general purpose camera. I just want to take some landscape shots, wildlife/animals, people inside and out. That's about it.

I've spent a lot of time researching these three cameras and the reason I am looking for some help is that they all seem very much the same to me and their base prices are virtually identical (with the Minolta being a little cheaper). There is the odd difference here or there: AF assist lamp, swivel LCD, redeye problems, amount of manual control, different flaws in image quality or shot performance. But, essentially, I feel these cameras are really very similar in overall quality of image and any one of them could satisfy someone who isn't looking to photographany special situations. This is what I can learn from research, however someone who has used one or more of these cameras may be able to offer some additional information.

So, if anyone feels they know enough about any or all of these cameras to offer an opinion, I would truly appreciate the help.

Thank you.
newbuyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 15, 2004, 4:52 PM   #2

I won't for multiple reasons.

First, since you didn't say what type of photography you plan on doing (pictures of kids? Flowers? Buildings? rings? The planet mars?) we have absolutely no idea what would be good for you.

Two, you won't talk about how much money you're willing to spend!

Three, I don't know anything about those cameras.

Imaging asking someone "what car should I buy? The ford explorer, the Honda Accord, or the Toyota Camry?" And that is all they said. Would you answer the question? How could you? You don't know if they have 5 kids, no kids, drives 1500 miles a week, or only uses it to pick up flowers.

eric s is offline   Reply With Quote