Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jun 19, 2004, 6:03 PM   #1

I've bought a Canon A75 digital camera and I'm quite happy with it. However, I fine when I take pictures indoors (in low to medium lighting) with flash, only certain parts of the picture is bright (ie. closer objects) and most of the background is too dark. So I try taking it with NO FLASH and the picture turns out fine (ie. the lighting and colour are all uniform and okay), however, it's NOT IN FOCUS!

I really need help on how to take a perfect photo indoors, especially with the Canon A75. Any tips or suggestions? Please help..I really need to learn before my summer vacation in a few weeks...

Tiger123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 19, 2004, 7:04 PM   #2

The flash intensity decreases as the square of the distance. If you are exposing something properly that is 6 feet away, background objects 12 feet from the camera are getting only a quarter the light from the flash. It is not a problem with the camera. Increasing the intensity of the background lights will help a little.

If you set the camera on a table and let the self timer take the shots without flash you will see they are in focus. They are blurred because the shutter speed is too low to handhold without camera shake affecting the picture. An inexpensive tabletop tripod might help.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2004, 9:41 PM   #3

Another solution is to attach a fairly powerful external flash to your camera, and then aim the flash up at the ceiling (some flashes swivel up), and then take your picture so that the flash bounces off the ceiling and lights up the whole room.

Small problem however, is that your camera does not a flash hot shoe or flash synch to attach a flash.

You could buy a fairly powerful flash that works as a flash "slave". When the flash on your camera goes off, your flash slave has a detector that detects a flash has gone off, and triggers it to go off. You put the flash slave on a tripod, in front of your camra (but out of the frame of the picture), and aim the slave flash at the ceiling.

When your flash goes off, it will light up your subjects (small group of people close to the camera), and your slave flash will light up the whole room!

I have two slave flashes, that I use in conjunction with my digital camera's flash.

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2004, 10:55 PM   #4

Some cameras have a "night portrait" mode which is different from the normal flash mode. In night portrait mode it holds the shutter open longer after the flash has died down to expose the background more. This reduces the dark background effect, but because it uses a slower shutter speed the picture is going to blur if the subject moves. You might check whether your camera has this mode.
mrc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2004, 2:10 AM   #5

This (the no-flash images)is most likely to be a problem with too slow a shutter speed but do not ignore focus problems. On test I found the A75 autofocus system to be pretty poor in low light. Also if you have the AFIF on (most folks do) it is known for focussing on the wrong part of the image. This seems to me more of a problem when the main subject is poorly lit.

Try doing a no-flashtest image at a known distance using the manual focus, this will tell you which problem you're having.

On the subject of flash, like Terry, I'd advise a slave flash for all but the most simple of indoor images.

Cybershot455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2004, 6:43 AM   #6

I also find if you do not use a flash, you get a lot of grain. One thing to try and get used to with a camera like this, is not to take pictures where the background is physically far behind the subject. In other words, pictures of people near a wall or sitting on a couch do far better. It's not the best solution, but this camera has it's limitations ( re: flash )
AMG is offline   Reply With Quote