Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jun 20, 2004, 11:28 AM   #1

I'm lookin to buy my first digital camera & the reading of options & reviews has brought me to a state of confusion. I'm not an experiened photo person, just needing something thats easy to use, yet a good camera at a decent price.......under 200 would be nice.

My options so far - Fuji P330, Kodak 7300, Sony P52, Kodak 6330, Sony P72, HP 733(although I dont feel cameras is HP's strongpoint)

I know of some features that are a must such as optical zoom, autofocus and a friend said macro also (whatever that means), and the ability to plug into a TV would kinda be nice. Plus as I've read, the option of using AA or rechargable is a must.

Also, I'm wondering about the software as well. I almost bought the Kodak one until I read a post stating that Kodak's software does not allow you to transfer photo's from 1 folder to another & unless you have their software, you cannot view the photos at all. So does that mean I should only buy a camera thaat loads pics in jpeg format.

Any ideas or sugestions that one could offer would be much appreciated.

captd2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 20, 2004, 12:30 PM   #2

Out of what you listed, I'd be least likely to buy the HP. Getting a camera is such a subjective thing. What one person likes a little better will be what another doesn't like as well. I recently purchased a Fuji S5000, although I was seriously looking at a Kodak 6490 too. I wanted at least a 10X optical zoom, and I wanted at least 3 megapixels of resolution, and I wanted to be able to manually focus, which is why I ended up with the Fuji, because the Kodak 6490 won't do that. That being said, I was very, very impressed with the Kodak digitals. In my opinion, the color on the Fuji and the Kodak were more impressive than any others I checked, and honestly, I think the picture quality on the 6490 is slightly better than it is with the Fuji I bought, although both are very good. I don't think you'll go wrong with a Kodak at all. My neice has a very simple point-and-shoot Kodak, and even it takes awesome photos. Sony makes a good camera too. My first digital camera was a Sony, but I think in the lower end of the spectrum price-wise, I'd be hard pressed not to get a Fuji or Kodak, I just really like their products.

Do you live where there's a store nearby that you can go check out different cameras? Best Buy, Circuit City, Staples (yeah, it's an office supply store, but they carry digicams, and sometimes have great deals on them), and some others have nice large displays set up where you can play around with the different cameras and kind've get a feel for what they're like. It's a good way to get a better idea of what you like and don't. Another point, too, is if you don't really have a concrete idea of what you're looking for, don't necessarily rule out any of the other makers either, like Nikon, Olympus, Canon, or anyone else, as you might find something in one of those lines you like even better. We can all state our own opinions on why we like what we like, but getting your hands on a few will allow you to form an opinion of your own, which you will always be happier with, because you'll pick the camera YOU like instead of what someone else does. :-)

As for your questions, macro mode is a mode that allows you to take close-up type pictures, and most of the cameras I have seen lately have some sort of macro mode on them. Some are better than others, of course, so here's where you judgement would need to come in. You definitely are better off with an optical zoom instead of a fixed lens, which would only be capable of digital zoom. Digital zoom simply doesn't work as well, even on more expensive cams it's only passable, so your friend is right-on about that, in my opinion. Autofocus is on nearly every camera I've seen, other than fixed-focus ones, which won't have an optical zoom. The bigger the optical zoom power, the better, but in the $200 and under range you probably won't be offered a lot of choices. As for being able to hook up to a TV, many of the current cameras will do that, and in fact, even include the cables for it. I know that most if not all the Kodak models do, as do Fuji.

One thing to look for, is the ability to put any type of filter or lens attachment on the camera, this will make the camera have the ability to me a lot more versatile. You can get lens extenders which can make the zoom more powerful, and you can get wide-angle attachments as well, which will allow you to take wider-angle shots than normal. You can also put a polarizer on, which can help a great deal with glare when taking an outdoor shot.

As for the Kodak software questions, I've seen these raised before, but I can't really answer them other than everyone I know who has a Kodak camera seems to be perfectly ok with whatever software Kodak includes, so I'd guess it works ok.

Sorry for rambling on so long, but these are a few things to consider, and again, I'd seriously suggest going toa store where you can check out different brands and models, and get an idea of what you like and why. Good luck, and be sure to post some of your photos in the forum here once you do get a cam!

Guitarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2004, 4:22 PM   #3

Most of the cameras in your price range will have AAs. That is so they can save the money of giving you a charger and lithium battery. You usually have to buy a charger and NiMH batteries, so put that in your budget. Alkalines and one use lithium batteries get expensive, and the alkalines don't last long.

The Fuji 205 is the only current zoom camera in Dave's under $200 pick list that isn't so slow it would frustrate you.
http://www.imaging-resource.com/WB/WB.HTM?view=range1 Wal-Mart has it for $100 with about $5 estimated shipping: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...30900866002498 You can get a 128Mb xD card online and NiMH batteries and charger and still stay under $200. A 64Mb card would give you about 100 pictures, but they have 128Mb cards for less than twice the price of the 64Mb. Office Max has a 64Mb xD card this week for $25 and no rebates to deal with. Wal-Mart has batteries and charger that would be sufficient for that camera at a low price. You can't print larger than about 5 X 7 with great quality, but I would take the zoom over a fixed aperture camera with more pixels.

The 205 has decent shutter lag. Look at the "picky details"
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2004, 6:20 PM   #4

Macro - The ability of a lens to focus very close (closer than an average lens) for taking pictures of small objects.

I personally have the older model, Fuji S602Z, so I'm biased towards that brand.

I haven't heard of the Fuji P330, is it new?
JerryF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2004, 2:32 PM   #5

when you bought the fuji s5000 did you consider the panasonic dmc fz 10 also? If yes then what made you buy the s5000 over it? I am considering these two and the canon S1 IS.
raj_b is offline   Reply With Quote