Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jul 6, 2004, 5:49 PM   #11

Check your ISO Shoot with sun at your back or side. Have a circular polarizer on your lens.

Iattempted a little "cleanup" on your USN photo.

It is not much better, however.

Here is a challenge for you...take THE photo of the Blue Angels.

Then send an absolutely fabulous 8 x 10 print to them.

You may just get a "hop"!

Suggestion: Don't eat breakfast if you are offered a flight.

Your "Starstruck" work is awesome! It is as if the pilot, always the gentleman, is asking the young woman..."And who should I make this out to?"

Attached Images
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2004, 11:00 PM   #12

I like what you did to the photo. It looks like you used a filter in there. I use filters as "cheaters" when I want to salvage an otherwise unuseable shot. Thanks for the suggestion.

I use circular polarizers for my lenses, but it tends to cause problems with the autofocus on my "kit lens" (Canon 18-55mm) so I just use the manual focus. Am I doing something wrong?

Wow! A chance to take a flight in an F-18! Forget about losing my breakfast - I would probably need to wear a Depends. Actually, my brother was a Navy test pilot. He flew those bad boys before they went into full time service with the Navy. As a young boy, he was a mascot for the Blues when they came to town. No more Blue Angels connections now - the squadrons rotate every few years, and, sadly, my brother was killed while test piloting.

This weekend is the big Blue Angels event in Pensacola. I tried out some settings at a 4th of July celebration this weekend and I feel more confident about getting some decents shots. I'm attaching a photo I took this weekend of a plane used by the Air Force demonstration team.

By the way, the "young woman" in the pictures with the pilot is my youngest daughter. She's an aspiring Navy recruit, though not as a pilot.
Attached Images
katki is offline   Reply With Quote