Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jul 5, 2004, 3:00 PM   #11

I think the difference is in the EVF and not the polarizer. I have a good Minolta circular polarizer and the effect in the EVF of my D7i isn't anywhere near what it was in the viewfinder of my Minolta SLR. The effect on the final image is the same though. Some people say a linear polarizer might have a little more effect, but I have never heard that circular has more effect than linear. If you still have your circular polarizer hold it in front of the lens of your Fuji and you will see that the effect in the EVF is the same as your linear polarizer. They have always made both kinds BTW.

My information was not inaccurate unless you define inaccurate as anything you disagree with.

From Cokin
: "
Polarizers come in two varieties: Linear 160 and Circular 164. Each has the same effect visually; the difference is just in the way they polarize the light passing through. If you own an auto focus or auto-exposure camera (basically any modern camera), use a 164 Circular polarizer, which won't interfere with its automatic functions. Digital cameras in general do not have reflection mirrors, and, as a result, can use both (linear or circular) polarizers." http://www.geocities.com/cokinfilter.../polarizer.htm

Practical filter FAQ
: "
Among polarizers, there are linear polarizers and circular polarizers. The only thing you really need to remember is that the circular polarizer must be used where the camera meters or focuses through a semitransparent mirror (as on a 35mm SLR). Because circular polarizers are much more expensive, you should only buy one if you need it."http://www.dantestella.com/technical/filterama.html

There are aftermarket filter kits for the Kodak non-SLR consumer line and they use linear polarizers.

Linear polarizers were developed for ALL cameras. Many years later when they developed semi-transparent mirrors they found that polarization messed up the focus and exposure through those mirrors. They added an extra layer quarter-wave retarder to rescramble the image for those cameras. There is no other reason for the added layer and it does nothing additional for the image. It is totally unnecessary for cameras without a semi-transparent mirror. Some older DSLRs have semi-transparent mirrors, but no other digitals do.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote