Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jul 4, 2004, 9:07 PM   #1

I finally decided on a digital SLR. For my wife and I the Canon Rebel seemed the best compromise. I expect that I'll use a lab for the majority of my prints. With that in mind:

I read that jpg decreases in quality eveytime it is saved. If I download the photos directly from the memory card, edit a picture - crop, etc and save my work. Then I Resave it to a disk to take to a photo lab for printing -- how much am I affecting the quality of the printed picture?

RonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 4, 2004, 10:23 PM   #2

Why would you "resave" an image to a disk? I would just copy the images I wanted to the disk...there is no loss of anything that way.
Old Jul 5, 2004, 1:51 AM   #3

The question here is that the decompressed JPG is modified and needs to be resaved as a JPG. The option of the editor allows setting a compression level.

Choosing a lower level will degrade the image. A level of 90-95% (or 11 on the PhotoShop scale) will not degrade but might enlarge the image.

As an alternative, decompressing the image and save as TIFF as a working copy is commonly used. With the final touch of the image, the image is saved in JPG (with 90-95%).

Wouldn't worry to much unless you resave the jpeg during each prossecing step (Thats why the lossless TIFF come in place).
Jurgen Eidt is offline   Reply With Quote